Sunday 8 June 2014

One Skein......just isn't enough!

Yesterday a group of us went to Purlescence just outside Wantage for one of their Open Days!  In March the guest yarn was Sweet Georgia this time the Skein Queen.

Could you believe that 2 hours earlier the rain was coming down in sheets?  The M4 was a complete nightmare especially as so many cars didn't see the need for lights........... crazy!

Anyway to point of this rant - why don't indie dyers have more than one or two skeins of any one colour?


If you look carefully it is possible to see that the most of anyone colour was three and this was taken at the beginning of the day!  I had gone with the intention of buying enough yarn to make a sweater and came away disappointed, for not only did the guest yarn not have a sweater quantity neither did the shop!

We found the same at Wonderwool, lots of beautiful yarn, but only one or two skeins of any one colour!  This seems to be the case with a lot of the indie dyers in this country (can't really comment on overseas dyers) - big excitement yarn update and then not enough for a garment - yes there are exceptions - Posh often has 5-6 skeins, but if you want them you have to be d-----ed quick!

Why?  Obviously it is easier to dye just one or two skeins at the same time, more need a larger container, but is that an excuse?  To combat this problem I have just bought myself a Baby Burco water boiler, so with a bit of luck I'll soon be a five skein dyer very soon....



At the moment I can just do four - it is a tight squeeze - and this is my take on Viola Odorata - really vibrant and I am very pleased with the result and so is the recipient :)

Enough, on to more exciting things - my very very good friend Jules recently went to New York and asked if there was anything small I would like her to buy for me.  Well I have long lusted after some Signature needles as I have heard that they are the creme de la creme of needles - the best! So could she please buy a circular set....

..........And she did


They are everything I expected and more - there is no join at all, not the tiniest hint - super smooth, light and the cable doesn't kink - needle heaven - I want more!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails