Tuesday 18 May 2010

Getting back to nature

I wasn't thinking of going 'au naturale' on the beach, don't want to shock the natives! I am thinking about the colours that come from nature and I have been inspired by the dyeing done using natural dyes on Saturday at SDW.


Last year I purchased a couple of starter kits and mordants intending to make this my perferred method of dyeing. Indeed I have a jar copper mordant still lurking in the utility room made from a piece of copper piping soaked in half water and white vinegar - which as you can see looks particularly yucky!
















But circumstances, mainly Mr S's prolonged absence, meant that I never got round to actually putting natural dyeing to the test. I have been particularly inspired by Jenny Dean and have two of her books Colours from Nature and Wild Colour another really useful book recommended by Sarah at the Spinning Weal is Jill Goodwin's A Dyers Manual.


Having reread the instructions, natural dyeing is not for the fainted hearted, nor is it quick but the results if the beautiful skeins produced on Saturday are anything to go by the results are sensational.


I have decided to use logwood chips and dye three skeins - one no mordant, one mordanted with alum and one with copper which means if my books are right I should get - blue, violet and grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails