Sunday 6 June 2010

Flaming June and Strawberries

This is the bestest month of the whole year - Tennis and Strawberries, two inseperable things to my mind. I have spent the last week and a bit glued to the French Open (disappointing finals) - next week it is Queens (didn't get tickets in the draw - despair) and at the end of the month Wimbledon (did get tickets for the second Monday on Court One - joy). Now I have to decide which projects for which event. Queens is only a week - so something simple - spinning would be best. I have fallen in love with a bag in this month's issue of Let's Knit designed by Anniken Annis so I think that the Queens project will be dyeing and spinning the yarn for this - Lime Green, Bright Pink, Yellow, Turquoise and Purple. The pattern calls for Cascade 220 which is a double knit so achievable.


















Wimbledon will have to be a shawl and I am spoilt for choice. Do I make the Pettine Shawl or the Annis Shawl which I really like a lot and what yarn? It will have to be a stash yarn as I won't have time to spin - or will I? What ever I intend to get a pic of me knitting at Wimbledon - I really would have liked to get a pic of me using my drop spindle, but don't think that I will get the spindle passed security... although I could give it a go.....

For the French Open I have just finished spinning the 200grams of dyed Falkland that I bought at Wonderwool. This was part of the 'tour' stash and I had great difficulty in not starting to spin it as soon as I brought it home. The fibre comes from Dunnose Head Farm on the Falkland Islands and it is absolutely gorgeous. It seems right somehow to be spinning with fibre that hasn't been cleaned with chemicals and can really called green as they don't use herbicides, pesticides, dips, footbaths or regular injections!

It had been dyed by Amanda of Mandacraft and I couldn't resist the bag of fibre as soon as I saw it on the shelf and also at a great price of £9.00 - I have never been one to pass up a bargain!



















The fibre is called Plum Pudding and best of all I have another 200grams in a different colourway Victorian Velvet in my stash just waiting on the wings......... if only there were a few more hours in the day!

1 comment:

  1. I have some of the Victorian in the stash pile, so feel a moment coming on... this is truly beautiful wool, but will have to think about spinning it more finely than my normal weight.

    Beautiful plum pudding.. and this wool is amazing to dye with...

    hugs
    Shani

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails