Sunday 15 December 2013

Recent Acquisitions

You know what they say, you can't wait for a bus for ages and then three come along at the same time!  Well the same applies to spinning wheels................

First there was an Ashford Traditional - in real need of some tlc!  Some kind person had covered the whole wheel, screws, nuts and everything visible surface with what appears to be yacht varnish - a liberal coat, not a thin coat, thick and gloopy with big blobs!  Underneath there are even bigger blobs where the varnish was allowed to run!


Every screw was glued in with the varnish, so I had to work Strippit into each screw and eventually after three days I have managed to get the wheel to pieces and am now working on releasing the wheel from the crank as I may have to re-glue the rim.....

Second there was this wheel

It was advertised with a starting price £35, while admitting that there where bits missing, it did say that similar wheels were being sold for £250 - well they might have an asking price of £250 but that doesn't mean they sold!  I paid at lot less -just about what the crank is worth - one day I might get it to spin..............

Third was a Haldane Shetland


seen next to Patience my Orkney.  The Shetland was the precursor to the Orkney so there are a lot of similarities............

I was attracted to the light wood in the first place, and the location which wasn't that far away and I got lucky and got it for my maximum - the bobbins are definitely replacements and I am pretty sure that the flyer is too - but again with some 'tlc' Prudence will be a lovely little wheel........




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails