Friday 10 January 2014

Welcome to the Black Hole, a Post Free Zone!

I have come to the conclusion that, for parcels coming to me from outside the UK, I live in a black hole when it comes to the Post Office, Parcel Force and courier firms...... 

My first Bliss wheel disappeared never to be seen again, according to the tracking facility my wheel entered the depot in the Netherlands and never left, although much later it was updated to address not valid - unable to deliver!  If it ever got back to Woolmakers I never heard..........

Now the latest Ply magazine - which has been arriving on door mats all over the UK for those who get their copies through Janet at The Threshing Barn.  My copy which should come straight from the publishers, and so not through a middle man - there is no sign, although the copies were received in Australia and New Zealand over a week ago. 

Likewise a parcel from Canada - posted in the middle of November, this was my proper Christmas present from Mr S a selection luxury yarns from Tabi of Sericin Silkworks, has followed my wheel into oblivion, and it is now nearing the 90 days cut off, when a parcel is deemed to be lost forever.

Again, a swap parcel from New Zealand supposedly sent in August/September - disappeared without a trace into the black hole that is the UK postal system

Am I particularly unlucky or have I been exceptionally badly behaved, or is there some evil pixie sat just waiting to knock my parcels off the sorting office table to become part of the flotsam and jetsam of never to be delivered post?

What happens to these never delivered parcels? Research shows that the Royal Mail 'made' £933,00.00 in 2010/11, and close to £1 million in 2011/12, from the sale of undeliverable parcels.  The BBC who obtained these figure under the Freedom of Information say that Royal Mail 'store valuable goods which cannot be delivered or returned for up to four months. If they are not claimed, they are then sold at auction. The company insists this is always a last resort, where the sender cannot be traced'.

Is there a warehouse of parcels, where you can go and search for your lost goods? It seems not as according to the Daily Mail, the contents of 75,000 items of undelivered post are sold off (often on Ebay) every year with some of the proceeds going to charity, but most to help with the running costs of Royal Mail, who if I understand this correctly lost the goods in the first place..............

All of my parcels should have had a return address so even if my address is not 'valid' they should in theory have been returned to sender...............  pigs might fly!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have definitely had a run of bad luck,,,,hopefully at least one or two of your packages will arrive soon !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I am not holding out much hope for the yarn parcel!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails